The answers to questions frequently asked by current mechanical engineering students can be found below.

About the Program

  • Mechanical Engineering (ME) is the largest discipline of engineering based on student enrollment in the United States. It focuses on the application of the principles of mechanics and energy to design machines and devices. Many consider ME as the broadest of the engineering degrees and provides the most career opportunities.

  • Graduates have the qualifications to enter careers in areas such as, but not limited to, aerospace industry, power generation and distribution, automotive design, machine design, manufacturing, HVAC design, alternative energy, robotics, and automation. Typical job titles for graduates may include Project Engineer, Planner, Project Supervisor, Manufacturing Engineer, Consulting Engineer, and Design Engineer. The BSME is also a good foundation for graduate school in Engineering, Business (MBA), Law, or Medicine.

  • Yes. Mechanical Engineering requires rigorous training in basic engineering principles along with the development of skills in the areas of planning and management of design projects and the associated systems and resources. Graduates in the area of Mechanical Engineering will be required to master technical elements and to demonstrate particular competence in the areas of communication, fiscal management, and project management. The broad-based background is tailored to develop professionals who will be able to move between the technical and managerial aspects of Mechanical Engineering projects and to serve in key leadership positions within the engineering profession.

  • It is an Engineering degree, designed according to the accreditation requirements of the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET, the accreditation agency for engineering programs in the United States.


  • The Mechanical Engineering (ME) curriculum offers a balance of coursework in engineering analysis and engineering design as well as, engineering practice. Students must be strong in math or have perseverance in order to be successful in engineering analysis coursework, and to provide a deep understanding on how things work. A creative desire to design new parts/mechanisms/machines/products/systems is also important. Please review the Program Educational Objectives, Student Outcomes and latest Curriculum on the program page.

  • New students who start or transfer into ME, must follow the new curriculum. Those students who were ME students before, may choose either curriculum (their own or the new one), but are encouraged to follow the newer curriculum, unless it will delay their graduation. Keep in mind that some courses have been substituted in the older curriculum that have equivalent learning outcomes.

  • See the flowchart and requirements checklist for the program.

  • This is up to the Professor teaching the class and whether they can allow you to register although you still have not taken the prerequisite class. Contact the Professor. In most cases this is not possible, but in some cases it can be done.

  • No, unless you are placed into Calculus I through the MAPT test, you will have to take MATH 1112 (Trigonometry) or MATH 1113 (Precalculus). After successful completion of MATH 1112 or 1113 you can register for MATH 1190 (Calculus I).

  • See sample Engineering Standing application

    Complete the Engineering Standing application based on the instructions below. Get it signed by a faculty advisor. Make sure the faculty advisor submits it to Yolanda Knighten, Administrative Associate.

    1. Complete the following information: Today's Date, Student Information (Student Name, Address, City, State, Zip Code), Student Academic Information (KSU Student ID Number, etc).
    2. Enter grades for all classes that have been completed.
      • Grades for courses completed at Kennesaw State should be entered in Column D and grades for courses completed elsewhere should be entered in Column I.
      • Credit hours should be written just for the courses that you have taken. Otherwise leave the cells empty.
      • If you have K grades, just write them down with no credit hours in front of them.
      • If CSE 1301E has been completed, enter a 4 in cell E41. If ME 1311 has been completed, enter a 3 in cell E45.
      • If you are currently enrolled in course(s) required for engineering standing, list course(s) under “A. Courses To Be Completed Prior to 1st Semester in Engr Standing.” (cell F20)
      • If other courses need to be taken: List course(s) under “B. Deficiency Courses To Be Completed in 1st Semester of Engr Standing.” (cell F26).
    3. Save application and email it to faculty advisor.

    Instructions for Faculty Advisor:

    1. Enter your information in the “Faculty Advisor Contact Information” box.
    2. Indicate the appropriate term in the “Engineering Standing Effective Term” box.
    3. In Degree Works, verify grades entered by student.
    4. If a student is currently enrolled in course(s) required for engineering standing, list course(s) under “A. Courses To Be Completed Prior to 1st Semester in Engr Standing.” (cell F20)
    5. If other courses need to be taken:
      • Advise the student that they must take the course(s) next semester
      • List course(s) under “B. Deficiency Courses To Be Completed in 1st Semester of Engr Standing.” (cell F26)
    6. Next to each class that has not been taken, replace the number of credit hours in column E with a 0.
    7. Verify that the student's GPA is above 2.7. If not, advise the student accordingly. Otherwise if the student meets requirement or you have no concerns that the student will achieve standing once all courses are completed, sign the form. If you have any concerns, note in the comment box, and sign form.
    8. Give student a copy of the form.
    9. Submit the original to Yolanda Knighten, Administrative Associate.
  • If you need to raise the limit of your Credit Hours, please fill out the Overload Request Form. If your GPA is less than 3.5, you will have to get the Chair's approval. The form can be emailed to the Registrar's Office.

Related Minors

Accreditation and Professional Licensure

  • The Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.

  • Georgia, like other states, requires applicants to graduate from an ABET-accredited program, or equivalent. Our curriculum is designed to prepare students for the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE), and we encourage our students to take it during their last semester or shortly after graduation. One should not take this exam lightly, and should devote weeks to review and prepare for it.

  • Normally 4 years after graduation. Assuming your experience satisfies the licensing board and you've met all other licensing criteria in place at the time you apply. After you pass the exam, you can then be officially licensed as a Professional Engineer in Mechanical Engineering (ME), in a particular state (such as Georgia). 

Scholarships and Internships

  • Generally, financial aid checks after every Spring term in addition to every 30, 60 and 90 credit hours. You can contact Mr. Greg Osborne at gosborn6@kennesaw.edu for further information.

  • The Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Department of Career Planning Development at Kennesaw State work closely with industry to provide internships and coops to ensure students gain valuable industry experience. Many companies end up hiring students who have worked as interns or in the co-op program when they graduate. For more information, visit the Department of Career Planning Development.

    Review the Interships & Co-ops page carefully and check the deadlines for the Spring and Fall semesters.

After Graduation

  • Former students can return and take the prescribed requisite courses to satisfy the degree. Please consult with the Mechanical Engineering Department Chair.

  • Former students can return and take the requisite courses to satisfy the degree. If you graduated from Kennesaw State's Mechanical Engineering Technology program AND have passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (E.I.T.) then you only have to take those courses which are unique to the degree. That's about 30--40 semester hours of courses.

General Information

  • Yes, the deparment has a Facebook account. Follow the account for deparment updates.
  • For more information please visit, the Safe Space Initiative website.

  • For more information please visit, the LiveSafe website.