The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Kennesaw State University is committed to maintaining high academic standards. Before enrolling in upper division courses, students must attain Engineering Standing.
Engineering Standing requires a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.7 and a minimum 2.7 GPA in selected math and science courses, as outlined on the application.
For detailed information on Engineering Standing, click here.
Engineering Standing Application
To apply for Engineering Standing, download, fill and print the application, then meet with your faculty advisor for signatures.
BS in Mechanical Engineering
Instructions on how to fill out the Engineering Standing Application:
Instructions for students
Complete the Engineering Standing application based on the instructions below. Get it signed by a faculty advisor. Make sure the faculty advisor submits it to Yolanda Knighten, Administrative Associate.
- Complete the following information: Today's Date, Student Information (Student Name, Address, City, State, Zip Code), Student Academic Information (KSU Student ID Number, etc).
- Enter grades for all classes that have been completed.
- Grades for courses completed at Kennesaw State should be entered in Column D and grades for courses completed elsewhere should be entered in Column I.
- Credit hours should be written just for the courses that you have taken. Otherwise leave the cells empty.
- If you have K grades, just write them down with no credit hours in front of them.
- If CSE 1301E has been completed, enter a 4 in cell E41. If ME 1311 has been completed, enter a 3 in cell E45.
- If you are currently enrolled in course(s) required for engineering standing, list course(s) under “A. Courses To Be Completed Prior to 1st Semester in Engr Standing.” (cell F20)
- If other courses need to be taken: List course(s) under “B. Deficiency Courses To Be Completed in 1st Semester of Engr Standing.” (cell F26).
- Save application and email it to faculty advisor.
Instructions for Faculty Advisor
- Enter your information in the “Faculty Advisor Contact Information” box.
- Indicate the appropriate term in the “Engineering Standing Effective Term” box.
- In Degree Works, verify grades entered by student.
- If a student is currently enrolled in course(s) required for engineering standing, list course(s) under “A. Courses To Be Completed Prior to 1st Semester in Engr Standing.” (cell F20)
- If other courses need to be taken:
- Advise the student that they must take the course(s) next semester
- List course(s) under “B. Deficiency Courses To Be Completed in 1st Semester of Engr Standing.” (cell F26)
- Next to each class that has not been taken, replace the number of credit hours in column E with a 0.
- Verify that the student's GPA is above 2.7. If not, advise the student accordingly. Otherwise if the student meets requirement or you have no concerns that the student will achieve standing once all courses are completed, sign the form. If you have any concerns, note in the comment box, and sign form.
- Give student a copy of the form.
- Submit the original to Yolanda Knighten, Administrative Associate.
See sample Engineering Standing application
This application is for non-engineering students who desire to enroll in upper-level engineering courses to complete a minor or a dual major provided they have the applicable course prerequisites and a 2.7GPA in the following courses:
- ENGL 1101 – Composition I
- ENGL 1102 – Composition II
- PHYS 2211/2211L – Physics I / Physics I Lab
- CHEM 1211/1211L – Chemistry I / Chemistry I Lab
PHYS 2212/2212L – Physics II / Physics II Lab
- MATH 1190 – Calculus I
- MATH 2202 – Calculus II
12 credits from courses in Southern Polytechnic College of Engineering and Engineering Technology OR with prefixes CHEM, CS, CSE, IT, MATH, PHYS, or STAT. These courses should be added to the list of courses on the applicable form.
NOTE: Faculty advisor review and recommendation would not be required.