Master's Program Admission Requirements
Below are guidelines for admission to the Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MSCE) program, which is offered to graduates of recognized undergraduate curricula. Admissions standards are set so that admitted students have a firm foundation leading to a high probability of success in the program.
Candidates may receive Regular Admission or Provisional Admission depending on an evaluation of the candidate's documented academic and professional record in consideration of the admission criteria discussed below. Note that the admission standards are minimum standards and meeting these standards does not guarantee admission to the MSCE program.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE) from ABET accredited engineering program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- For English proficiency requirements, please refer to the following link.
Regular admission may also be granted in other cases based on a review of the applicant's record, including, but not limited to the following:
- BSCE from foreign university that is comparable to an ABET accredited program.
- Professional accomplishments, such as PE license, completion of noteworthy projects, record of scholarly publications.
- Successful completion of graduate level engineering coursework from a recognized institution.
Provisional admission is offered when there are special circumstances or extenuating circumstances, depending on the number of applicants and their quality and if there are adequate resources available to support the needs of the students.
Students granted provisional admission must satisfy additional conditions to remain in the MSCE program. These conditions are determined on an individual basis but generally consist of successful completion of additional preparatory coursework and/or satisfaction of certain academic expectations. Candidates admitted in this category are normally required to complete their first 12 hours of graduate-level work with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Applicants who are considered for provisional admission are required to submit GRE scores. The minimum GRE scores for provisional admission are as follows:
- Verbal ≥ 143
- Quantitative ≥ 155
The minimum required cumulative GPA is 3.0. In some cases, provisional admission may be granted for candidates with a slightly lower scores if other parts of their application are particularly strong. The GRE requirement can be waived for applicants who have passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam.
Test scores may be waived, if:
- an applicant has 4 or more years of relevant work experience earned after receiving their first baccalaureate degree or
- a 3.5 undergraduate GPA or better.
To request a GRE waiver, send a letter outlining your work experience or a current resume.
Applicants with ABET accredited degree
Applicants with an ABET accredited Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, but who are missing foundational coursework relevant to their technical option, or those who have low grades in individual courses, may be required to complete appropriate foundational coursework with a grade of B or better.
Applicants without ABET accredited degree
- Applicants who have a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE) from an international institution are evaluated individually and the offer of provisional admission is based on evaluation of the candidate's transcripts. All applicants who hold a degree from a college or university where the principle language is not English must demonstrate minimum competence in English as indicated by official scores on the TOEFL or IELTS exams. (The minimum scores are the same as for regular admission.) In some cases, applicants with outstanding academic records from well-regarded institutions may be granted regular admission.
- Applicants with a BSCE form a non-ABET accredited US institution will be considered if the degree is from a regionally (SACS) accredited institution comparable in standards and content to KSU.
- Applicants with BS degrees in other engineering fields, or in closely related fields will be considered for provisional admission on a case-by-case basis.
- Applicants with degrees in Engineering Technology will be considered for provisional
admission and must submit GRE scores and meet the following minimum requirements:
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in preparatory coursework equivalent to the following KSU courses: PHY 2211, PHY 2212, MATH 2254, CHEM 1211, CHEM 1212, MATH 2306, MATH 2260
- Evidence of academic competence equivalent to passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam administered by NCEES. In the event that a candidate cannot sit for the FE, alternate measures of equivalent competency, such as qualifying exam scores, may be considered.
For questions about the MS in Civil Engineering program, please contact the Program
Dr. Metin Oguzmert
Phone: (470) 578-5083